Skip to main content

Reply to "BBCOR bats"

That brings up an interesting question:  alloy vs. comp in BBCOR? 

For most of us, comp was assumed to be much hotter in LL and travel ball.  With the possible exception of the Youth Techzilla, metal bats could not compare.  But once the kids put those drop-fives away, the choice in BBCOR isn't so obvious.  

Friend of mine did some research last year and found that a large majority of the home run hitters in NCAA D1 last year were using metal.  My own casual observation was the same -- I saw a lot more alloy bats being used in local HS games, local college games, and in the College World Series on the tube.  (I know that colleges have contracts with specific makers, but those makers all offer a choice between comp and alloy)  No question that the bat I saw used most last year, especially by power hitters, was the DeMarini Voodoo.

But this year seems different. I don't know if my friend has run any numbers, but I am not seeing nearly as many kids swing voodoos. I am seeing a lot more comps -- CF5's, S1's, and  -- especially --  Makos.  I think my friend's kid has one, BTW.

So I'm wondering it that's just anecdotal evidence that doesn't match the main trends out there, or if kids just like the new model and new paint jobs, or if those are the best performing bats available.