Skip to main content

Reply to "Becoming a PO"

TPM posted:

You have to remember that the travel coach is trying to get as many seen as he can.  So most summer programs limit players to one position only as it should be. Mine became a pitcher only after his freshman year and that is how it was until his Senior season.

Son was expected to be at every game regardless of whether he pitched or not so make sure you get clarification.

This is pretty much the answer. Often, it is a very hard adjustment to make - bot h for your kid and you. My son has just become a PO on his summer team. In reality, he has a strong bat - will hit 3 or 4 on his high school team - and is a better hitter than at least half of the starting line up. However, that doesn't matter. He's also an OF that runs an 8.10 60. While a strong hitter, he isn't guy blasting it over fences on a regular basis. We recently attended our first PG tourney with this team. It was my son's first PG event. He only pitched 1.2 innings in a pool game because he was being saved for brackets. We blew a bottom of the seventh lead in the quarters and he left the tourney with just the 1 and 2/3 IP. He got one at bat in a pool game off the bench.

I have to admit it was a little difficult making a long trip to only see him in the game for less than two innings. However, in that simple 1.2 IP, he put up a big velocity number which has already paid dividends in over a dozen inquiries to his HC. That was the purpose and it was met. While it might have been fun to play more, this would have meant taking at bats away from kids who are trying to garner attention as position players. It may be boring for long stretches at a time, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. He's fine with it because he understands why he is there.

Like TPM's kid, PO's are expected to be at every game and be a part of the team on every level.