Skip to main content

Reply to "Becoming a PO"

This topic is very familiar to my son's experience. He tried out for his current summer team before the 16U season as an OF and RHP. After the tryout the coach came over and said they were interested in offering him a PO slot. He was more impressed with son's pitching arm than as an outfielder and his bat, which was assessed from about 8 swings of front toss in a cage.  They are a reputable team, and have done well developing pitchers, so a PO spot with them was attractive.  I was not comfortable with it at his age and with the skills I felt he had. Before accepting, I did some research and internet searching trying to get feedback similar to what this thread is now doing. I asked him what he wanted and he was fine accepting this role, justifying that he would be a 2-way player and get plenty at bats in the HS spring and summer seasons.  I would say if your son can and wants to contribute as a 2W player and doesn't throw 90, he should avoid the PO assignment in high school. To this day, I still don't like it and feel  we "settled" when we could have played for many other teams, many who still call him to fill a spot for weekend tourneys.