Skip to main content

Reply to "Becoming a PO"

First the entire reason for the thread was to see what others experience on this was and how others sons did with it. We live in WV and we are on our 3rd year with this travel team. My son is 6'2" and left handed and is a very good pitcher. He hits well and is a good outfielder but his place in college at a high level will probably be as a pitcher. Left handed kids his size are a little different than RHP. He is in high school. If the summer travel as a PO is distasteful we will take him to another program. The way it's been explained to me, he will be in greater demand as an LHP than as a outfielder because of his physical tools. We played last season on a team where he was a two way, but as such because he was a Sunday pitcher, other kids with lesser talents usually got field time ahead of him, which in my mind is more distasteful but until kids are in high school that is still little league mentality stuff where dads are doing the coaching. That will not be the case this year. We are going to several high profile 17u tournaments where he will be challenged and there's always the possibility he may be over his head. If so we backup and reevaluate. After the way things went as a 14u last year, we are just happy he has a defined role. Things may be a little different here where there isn't a lot of high quality high exposure travel teams. Didn't mean to create a controversy...sorry folks!