Skip to main content

Reply to "Before 60/90"

@JCG posted:

We had lots of good times on the small fields, both travel and rec.  My only regret was as a LL manager, not spreading the opportunities around more, and not giving one kid in particular the starting pitching assignment he wanted so badly. (though he got his chances eventually)  But I really wanted the 'ships, and so did most of the guys I was up against. It took me a few years to realize that my priorities were off.

Man, trying to manage that pitching rotation was tough. I had 3 "aces" and 2 other kids who were almost just as good. It was also a very competitive league. We already had the number 1 seed locked up so I rolled a kid out there who I was honestly concerned for his safety. He threw a few hand grenades and actually pitched a scoreless inning. I couldn't believe how much it meant to him. Then, after the game some dude comes up to me I hadn't met during the season. Turns out the kids dad was down from Michigan and this was the first time he'd seen him play. The guy was in tears telling me how much it meant to them.