Skip to main content

Reply to "Before or after the draft?"

quote:
But if a group of people get together, form a corporation and call it...umm...I don't know, "Perfect Game" decide to set up tournaments and/or showcases, charge a fee, publicize the tournaments all over the internet and baseball magazines [baseball america], mask the tournament as if it is open to everyone, but have super-duper-select teams compete where just by coincidence, these teams are all composed of some the best players in this country and others, not only is that okay the idea is encouraged. An argument could be made that "Perfect Game" is nothing more than a "legal" alternative to marketing players.

newagent,

I don't think you were trying to cut us (PG) down, and you were just using us as an example to make a point, but if I may...

Just as a correction. We don't and have never masked anything as if it were open to everyone unless it is an event that is open to everyone.

We do not pay for advertising anywhere. We donate to worthwhile things like this website, The Lions Tournament, The Heart Association, Childrens Hospitals, and many other things. We have "never" asked anyone to advertise what we do. The only real advertising is on our site. I really don't even like talking about PG on here, but sometimes feel its necessary. You will never see our events listed here (not by us anyway) or asking for players to attend any events. We don't even advertise our site on here. The whole banner thing is not our idea and it is not the reason we try to help the site.

IMO... I'd like to think we are more than a legal alternative to market players, but if not I could live with that. I can understand why you might say that.

You yourself have questioned the ethics of those involved in your business and stated you wanted to be different. So why would you take exception to anyone who "dares" questioning the integrity of an agent. Why is it that you can question their integrity, yet a tournament director can't?

BTW, I have to laugh when I see "my space", "yahoo" and "google" included in any sentence that includes Perfect Game. I've never been motivated by money or we might be in your business now. We don't charge a dime if anyone wants advice and we have experienced and been involved with more kids getting drafted and going to college than most anyone. Furthermore we work very closely with the decision makers (both college and pro) and we work closely with most of the big suppliers. Our group of people include former Major League players and scouts. A former MLB Manager, former MLB front office people, former college players, even people who have been agents, etc. I'm pretty certain we would be very successful and good as advisors, if money were the goal!

We don't charge anyone to give advice, we give it freely every day. So when you go out and start doing tournaments and other events for free, we will be even. I think you'll find what you do takes a lot less effort and costs a lot less money.

Anyway, I admire your intent of helping to clean up your industry, if that is true. Hopefully you will become one of the good ones.

Personally I am past caring who spends any money on Perfect Game. I'm much more interested in our reputation than the bottom line. You can believe that or not.

So as this doesn't sound like a complete disregard for sports agents and advisors... The truth is that the real good ones would agree with me 100%. I know, because we know most of the real good ones. At least those who have been around for awhile. We have even argued with some of them who might think we would not like them, but we still respect them. Some might not even know we respect them, but we learn from the players and no one knows more players than we do. It's simple... It's all about being honest. Not Perfect, not always right, but honest! It's actually very easy!

Sorry for being so paranoid.