Skip to main content

Reply to "Beginning the college search. Help asking the right questions?"

I think, at this point, your questions need to be steered more toward your son and yourself.  The questions to the schools typically come later when he is getting specific recruiting interest from those schools (unless that is already happening).  And, BTW, there are tons of threads on this site that you can also search and browse for both.

As Wechson touched on, the initial self-questions are those things like distance, weather, culture, academic major of interest, size, learning resources required/preferred, competitive factor, tuition cost, facilities, in-state/neighboring state discounts, social environment, urban vs. rural, proximity and access to outside interests, etc.  You can check rosters to see how much schools lean on JC transfers and drop-downs vs. recruiting straight out of HS.  If you are looking at out-of-state schools, you can also see which ones are likely to bring those players in. 

One of the questions we didn't cover adequately was cost of living in a particular area (outside of school costs).  i.e. - cost to live in San Francisco is considerably different than small town Midwest.  Also, realize that, unless your son has a specific and unique major or is highly likely to seek out HA's, the majority of kids end up either in-state or adjacent.  You might want to check the charts that CollegeBaseballInsights provided in that regard.  If that is the likely scenario for your son, this can save quite a bit of time.

From there, you can start making a broad list of schools but I don't think you need to get too specific with things like position needs, where your son fits on their board, levels of program academic support, team culture, etc., until deeper in recruiting discussions.

Last edited by cabbagedad