Skip to main content

Reply to "Beginning the college search. Help asking the right questions?"

cabbagedad posted:
Elijah posted:
fenwaysouth posted:
cabbagedad posted:

I think, at this point, your questions need to be steered more toward your son and yourself.  The questions to the schools typically come later when he is getting specific recruiting interest from those schools (unless that is already happening).  And, BTW, there are tons of threads on this site that you can also search and browse for both.

Awesome advice, and 1000% agree with cabbagedad.   Figure out what your son wants to do after college then work towards that goal.   Once you've identified the goal there are a lot of people that can help or guide in that direction. 

If you've spent any time on HSBBWeb, you know there are all walks of life and plenty of wisdom to go around.

Good luck!

...My son has no clue what he wants to do after high school. He is a sophomore and just planting his feet in a new high school. Of course, I know his personality so that helps me as I am looking around. I am taking a broad approach to this; just information gathering....

This is one of the bigger challenges with the exercise, for sure.  I would say most kids that age either have similar  uncertainty or will change their perspective quite a bit over the next few years or both.  Many at that age will only look at very superficial things.  So, taking them on campus visits just to see what they react to is good.  Also, exploratory discussions about interests, both personal and from a career standpoint can provide good indicators.  Unfortunately, at this age, a long list of logical questions and check boxes may prove to be somewhat useless.

Still, I get it.  We did the same.  Nothing wrong with starting that process and keeping one hand on the "adjust" dial.  That was part of the fun.

Great idea about campus visits. I would like to gauge his reactions to big vs smaller schools.