Skip to main content

Reply to "Beginning the college search. Help asking the right questions?"

PitchingFan posted:

Back to the original questions.  When you figure out what level your son is being recruited by will change your questions, IMO, a little.  The questions are not the same for all positions or all levels of college.  The questions also change according to the offers he begins to get.  We did not have that many questions because when I did the research on the coach's history and the program's history, I found the answers to my questions.  How many are recruited each year, how many will my son have to beat out to earn a starting role, (in our case) have they let kids play both ways, chances of the coach leaving, do they redshirt freshmen, how many get cut and when, do they get guys to the pros, etc.  We had very few to none to the coaches because I had done my research.  I just made them verbally put some things into the verbal contract which is useless but to hear it is a little more comforting.  The questions were dependent on the offers.  the P5 that offered 100% was evident they wanted him bad and they wanted him as a 2 way player.  The one who talked about preferred walk-on was not in love with him.  The ones in between were also answered as there was a mid level D1 that made a great offer and moved guys to the pros and made playoffs almost every year and most of the time to the Supers.  If you do your research, you will know what to ask and what you don't need to ask.

Thanks @PitchingFan. I think I will take some earlier advice and research a couple of local schools starting with your research concerning team specifics. The man who coaches my son is top on my list so the starting point (for me) is the coach. Your answer helped me remember that. I know people say to not choose a school based on a coach for obvious reasons, but I think a combination of all points of view can be considered. Location, atmosphere, culture...all important. I think I can create some checks and balances into the system.