Skip to main content

Reply to "Beginning the college search. Help asking the right questions?"

Iowamom23 posted:
BBMomAZ posted:

Start visiting a wide range of schools nearby (or while on vacation) to allow him to get a feel for different types of campuses. Take an admission tour if possible to explore the programs; check out the baseball facilities and maybe watch a game or practice.

We did the range of school thing for both my kids. Went to a small D3, medium size D2 and big D1. There is so much that you, or your kid, thinks you know, and then you get there and find out it all feels differently. I had my daughter pegged for a small D3 — she's quiet and I wanted a place where she would feel comfortable and come out of her shell. My thoughts were reinforced at one D1 when she refused to get out of the car.

Fast forward — she is in graduate school at the same large D1 where she got her undergraduate degree. She's been a leader in her major, an officer in her sorority, helped run the campus wide Greek week and we've learned she's a lot tougher than we knew.

So TAKE THE KIDS TO THE CAMPUS. Tour it, Go all sizes. Son was really interested in a southern school that he would have to fly to — we visited, he loved it, and then we got on the plane at 5 a.m. to come home and there was a mechanical problem. Got home 8 hours later than planned and that school was really off the list. The idea was great, the reality not so much.

This is sage advice.  They're teenagers after all.  Initially my son wanted midsized and south.  Has gravitated towards smaller and North East (closer to home).  Not saying he'll end up there, but it's been interesting to see him react and evolve as he goes to the campuses.