Skip to main content

Reply to "Best baseball nickname"

2022NYC, I asked Gwyn that very question because both Genome and Gnome could work for Altuvé and I think Gnome is better anyway.  After all, how many people even know what a Genome is?  They might think it's short for Geenormous, which would be a crappy nickname for Altuvé, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, Gwyn said Genome was chosen instead of Gnome because whoever came up with it--apparently its creator wishes to remain anonymous, kind of like IAmThatGuy--didn't want Gnome to be confused with Nome (Alaska).  I think that's silly and told him so.  If they were that worried about confusing people they could have just named Altuvé Quark. Everyone knows what a Quark is.

BTW, when Gwyn was explaining all this to me he went off on a tangent about R.A. Dickey, the former knuckleballer for the Mets (and the Rangers, Mariners, Twins, Blue Jays and Braves). Gwyn said Dickey had several nicknames but his two favorites were H.B. and Bedouin.  H.B. stands for Higgs Boson, the subatomic particle that can have a 0 spin rate, like a knuckleball.  Bedouin came from the nomadic Arabs, because he played for so many different teams.

BTW (again) there's a good joke about Higgs bosons.

• A Higgs boson walks into a bar. The barman doesn’t understand.