Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Baseball Memory"

There are many between playing, coaching and coaching and watching my son. The best memory not about my son would be the kid who thanked me at his football NLI press conference for helping straighten out his life when he was a fourteen year old baseball player. This kid had tough circumstances and was mad at life.

Even though my son is in high school now, I like this one about him. It's his first LL Majors all-star at-bat when he was eleven. Don't ask me why but he was waving the bat like Sheffield. I shook my head. I told a friend/another dad to yell at him to use his own swing when he came up the next time. I won't coach my kids from the stands. My son hit a double on one hop to the fence. When he came up the next time the friend asked me what I wanted him to yell. I responded, "Go Sheffield!" He hit a triple off the fence his next at-bat and his first LL home run the following at-bat. It cleared the maintenance shed behind the fence. As he approached home he called out in his best Harry Kalas (Phils announcer) "That onnnnnnes outtaaaah herrrrre."

After the game I asked my son about the Sheffield stuff. Very matter of factly he responded, "It works for him. I thought I'd try it."