Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Baseball Memory"

Ahh yes..back in the day when you could get cut trying to make LL. I remember playing baseball in the back yard when my mom came out to tell me I had made the Tigers...I was grinning from ear to ear. The woollen uniforms weren't very comfortable though!! Nor were the true stirrups we wore.

Justbaseball - Your story is almost a carbon copy of mine. We were in the 7th inning of a tied game and the bases were loaded with two outs (my coach didn't like me..couldn't tell you why..just did) and the coach asks who was up and bookkeeper said "Robert" and my coach goes.."great Robert" so I go up there against Danny Carlin of the Orioles (funny how we remember the particulars)and drill a ball off the center field fence missing my 1st homerun ever by a foot (fence was 8' high then). I cleared the bases with a double..should have been a triple but I hopped up and down all the way to second like Dave Henderson did after hitting the homerun in the 1986 ALCS against California. Big Grin

My favorite game for my son was our 1st playoff game in Cooperstown in 2007. We had given up back to back hr's to go down 6-5 in the top of the 6th and were down to our last out. Son is up and swings at strike one which was a tad high and outside. Second pitch goes to the same spot and same result a swing and a miss strike 2. Now I'm keeping the book in the dugout and I'm dying that my kid is about to make the last out when the pitcher throws pitch #3 to the same location again, well this time son makes an adjustment and rifles it over the right field fence for the game tying HR. My book goes flying as I race out of the dugout jumping up and down for my kid and the team as the other team was celebrating a tad early at the beginning of the inning. Game was still tied 6-6 in the 8th when leadoff guy walked, stole second and my son came up and laced a double off the centerfield wall to win the game. His confidence after that was sky high and it was awesome to see him shine like that.... a true proud parent day!!