Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Baseball Memory"

Gosh. I honestly don't know if I can legibly write a word after reading these incredible stories with my eyes puffed up from near-tears in them. I truly appreciate everyone of your stories. They are heartfelt and I needed to read these today badly.

Coach May....all I can say is wow...that HAD to be a spectacle to behold! Unbelievable.

LPHMom...that story will stay with your son for the rest of his life. What a trooper for going out and trying to play experiencing that kind of pain.

My Top 3:

As a player...when I made the LL team the first time I tried out. It came down to me and one other. When the coach handed the uniform to me he might as well have handed me a treasure of gold! I rushed home to put it on and parade up and down the neighborhood street (dirtroad) until I was sure everyone saw it on me! laughs

As a Dad...2 come to mind.

When younggun was 12yrs old and it was his second season playing, he got to play on a local fall ball team. He was told that since they had plenty of pitching that he might be used as a backup catcher. (it still cracks me up when I saw the expression on his face - A Catcher dad?! lol.) But he said ok as long as he could play ball. Well, things happened and the pitcher that was suppose to pitch got sick and another was out of town, etc. so they asked younggun if he'd like to pitch this game. Heck yes was his response! (over the summer he and I had worked out in the driveway on his pitching mechanics via dick mills pitching series so as to learn how to pitch correctly, etc.) 6 innings of pitching, 16 K's, 2 ground outs, no walks, not hits. A perfect game! I didn't even know what that was until someone told me after the game...lol.

3 years later he is playing in a league that the HS coach had put together for kids that were interested in trying out/playing for the JV. There were about 6 total teams with only 11-12 players each. Boys from the high school came out that might like to play, along with those who could. There was one boy who came that like the other on here had mentioned, had a deformity that made it impossible for him to throw, catch, etc. The other coach always tried to get him in at least 1 AB each game. When they faced us our young pitcher only knew 1 thing and that was to get every batter out. My son was playing 3B this game. I noticed younggun going to the mound when this young player stepped up to bat. A mound visit then jogged back to 3B. I noticed our pitcher lobbing it in and the boy swings and just happens to hit it down 3B line. Younggun makes a dive and "accidentally" goes over the ball, grabs it, and throws a low ball to 1B. The kid was hobbling as fast as he possibly could down the line. Safe! He stood on 1B and jumped up and down! The fans went crazy. I looked over at his mom and she was crying. The dad had a smile on his face that I'll never forget.
Last edited by YoungGunDad