Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Baseball Memory"

Ok, here's another one... Rocco Baldelli's rookie season. We went to Cleveland to visit my mother, so we checked to see who the Indians were playing that week and it was Tampa Bay. So we bought tickets online ahead of time.

While on vacation that week, we stopped in a local crafts shop and bought materials to make a poster to say hi to Rocco (and of course try to get an autograph). We made a poster that said "Rocco is RI's Rookie of the Year!". Well, while we're sitting in the park before the game, this sweet little old lady approached us and asked "So... do you know Rocco? I'm his grandmother." We told her we didn't, but were fans. She then said "Oh, well come down to the dugout and I'll call him out for you." So down we went (we were sitting close to their dugout anyway). She called him out, he hugged her and then she told him "These people are from RI too". So he signed a couple balls and I took a couple photos. We thanked him and wished him continued success and then returned to our seats for the game.

So the game is pretty boring for a couple pre-teens, actually still no score going into the bottom of the 9th. Well, w/ a runner on 2nd, someone hit a single up the middle to end the game w/ a walkoff. Well, Rocco was playing CF. So as he and the rest of his team trotted off the field, I told my kids to stand up w/ their poster and wave good bye to Rocco. What does he do? He nods to me and motions our way w/ the game ball still in his hand. Once he got my attention, he threw the ball right to us! Of course, it bounced off my hand and up into the row behind us. But the folks behind us were kind enough to give it to my son.

He still has that ball in a case, as well as the autographed one. But more than just getting an autograph, it was the class of such a nice young man that we'll always remember. You could tell that he appreciated the support from his fellow-Rhode Islanders and we respect him for that. Smile