Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Baseball Memory"

Please allow me to add one that is not regarding my offspring.

When I ran our local LL, one year at our tryouts, we had a young man you had a medical and mental deficiency that would have kept most , if not all 12 years olds from trying out.

The young man did his thing and now I had a problem---I feared for his safety if he played, his ability was that bad--The next day I phoned the town folk and asked what do we do and I was informed that legally we could not deny him participation. It came to light that his Dad had a similar situation in HS and was named manager of the HS team so he could participate.

I phoned the parents and informed them of my situation and my thoughts regarding his safety--I offered to take him on our team with my son and other boys that myself and my coaching staff would not make the boy uncomfortable. They asked could they call back in abit after we talked---I said sure take your time--they called back within a half hour and he was a member of our team--his health precluded him from playing but in a few games---we managed to get him a few a few at bats in the right situations and he GOT A SINGLE-- we won the league title and and we had the trophy event at my home he was the first one there and he arrived in full uniform.--

To this day I still can see his grin and I recall seeing him thru his HS years where he was a key element on the HS radio station and every time we ran into each other he always had a grin a "Hi Mr. Rizzi" for me