Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Baseball Memory"

My favorite baseball memory:

Seeing my youngest son pitch to my eldest son who was catching. The younger came into the game with runners on 2nd and 3rd. He struck out the next 2 batters when the 3rd batter he faced got a hit back to him. The runner on third came in hard, the younger fielded it, tossed it to the elder who tagged the kid behind his back - never turned around, just caught the ball and flipped his glove back tagging the runner passing behind him. The brothers nodded at each other, turned and jogged into the dugout. Like it was something they did everyday...business as usual. Fact is, they were 5 years apart in age and had never played on the same team before - I never thought I'd get to see that.

(With two outs, you normally would have gone for the out at first, but it was such a smooth, natural play that no one complained.)

Back up two months, and it was my eldest son's senior year. He was pitching to his best friend who was catching. It was a home game and the stands were full. For the last inning, they switched. My son caught while his best friend pitched. That night his friend was killed in a car accident. We have pictures of that game that are worth more to me than most anything. No one wore the catcher's equipment after that but my eldest son - he finished out the season at catcher. And the last time he wore it, he was catching for his brother, an incoming Freshman - the story I told above.
Last edited by gamedayrocks