Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Baseball Memory"

Best memory? There are so many. I was a horrible baseball player as a kid so I don't have anything personal.

If I had to pick one it was when my son was 11 and was playing his first year of Bronco (Pony Baseball). They were playing fall ball that year and a coach of a 14U team apparently was watching him play. His team was only going to have 8 kids playing that night and asked if Daniel could jump in and fill in for the team.

Danny gave me a puzzled look, something along the lines of 'Can I do that?'. I told him it was up to him since it was authorized. I myself was somewhat concerned since this was a really big jump in age and ability level. He always has been an above average player but he would be playing with kids 2-3 years older than him. As you all know the difference between an 11 year old and a 14 year old is pretty drastic.

He decided to go ahead and give it a try. He of course batted 9th in the order and was put out in right field, a position he doesn't normally play but could hold his own in.

He had probably one of his best games ever. He led off the 3rd inning in his first at bat and laced a triple over the 1st baseman's head that went to the wall. His second at bat was a solid single that put him on again. He ended up scoring both times.

The best thing I saw was a play he made in one of the later innings. The opposing team had a guy on first with a couple of outs. Danny's team was on the losing side of the game but not down by much (couple of runs if I remember right) and the batter hit a hot single up the right side. The kid on first obviously realized how small Danny was and I guess thought that 3rd was automatic but my son charged the ball, came up firing and one hopped the throw from mid right field into the 3rd baseman's glove. You could see the shock in the runner's eyes when he saw the ball hit the 3rd Baseman's glove before he even started his slide. Inning over.

They ended up losing but that game gave my son such confidence and I was so proud of how he played. Those 13 and 14 year olds all told him how happy they were to have him on the team and that he would be welcome any time.

He played up the next year.
Last edited by Wklink