Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Baseball Memory"

I was watching a local HS game the other night and a play sparked a memory of something that happened when I was playing HS ball.

I was a pitcher...and it just one of those nights where NOTHING felt right. FB felt flat, Curve Ball just didn't seem to have it's normal sharp break etc etc. But it was my turn to pitch...so I'm pitching. Trying to pitch was more like it. Somehow, we were up a couple of runs going into the last inning. All I wanted to do was get through the last inning. First guy comes up and I knew he was looking curve, since at this point against the top 5 hitters in their line up, a FB near the plate meant a hard shot somewhere. First batter hits a sloppy curve ball for a single. Second batter hits a rocket to the gap to put runners on 1st and 3rd. Next guy I walked...so NO OUTS, bases loaded. #4 hitter coming up. I'm standing behind the mound, playing with the rosin bag trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do. Hoping the coach is going to come out and relieve me. He does come out. I'm waiting to hand him the ball...probably smiling in relief. He says..

"Well...I guess the rest of the game wasn't exciting enough for you. So you get the bases loaded with no outs and figure you want to shut down the middle order to end it...well get to it."

And he said this with a TOTALLY Straight face.

I don't remember much about pitch selection or location on those batters. I remember one strike out. I do remember I think I closed my eyes on the last pitch of that strikeout because I just KNEW It was going into the next county. I Remember a big league pop up on a curve ball...I don't think I've EVER seen a ball hit so high in the air to be caught by my CF. And I remember the last guy hitting a ROCKET right at my SS or 2B. I DO REMEMBER being the last person off the field..my RF telling my "You coming?" I just couldn't believe I got through that inning. So all the equipment is getting put up, we're working on the field, I'm filling a hole in the mound after running, and my Coach walks up to me.

"Son that's what baseball is about. Sometimes it's simply a gut check. Sometimes it ends up like tonight...other nights that #4 guy probably hits one to the moon. Even if you've got nothing going...don't ever let the other team think they've got you. Sometimes it's not about who's the best...but about who gets breaks...but you should act the same when you pitch a no hitter, or when you get bear around all night...like you expected nothing less than a win."