Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Camp that don't give catchers short shrift?"

HitRunThrowCatch posted:

Tequila, I would *love* to find an effective coach for regular lessons. He has a great hitting coach, and one who gave lessons for blocking.  Just haven't found one that clicked for the other aspects.  We are within reasonable driving distance of Orlando & Tampa. I'm not really plugged into a network.  I lurk on a few FB groups,  but haven't found them to be useful for our needs.  Son has only played travel ball for a couple of years, and it's been a steep learning curve, to say the least. I appreciate this forum because it has good quality info,  without the drama. 

Email the coach of a local college. See if the coaches are open to giving lessons. If not, head to a college game. Catch one of the players coming in/out. See if they're willing to give lessons in the offseason. They will be - assuming you keep it discrete and in cash. UCF and USF aren't too far from you. Ask around.

Two local D1 guys helped run our winter workouts. $80 every Sunday for a few months goes a long way for most college kids. Especially those unable to work. 

Catching lessons aren't really something you need to do year round. Just train in the winter and meet to clean it up when necessary.You really don't need to click with someone. You just need to improve. There aren't a ton of different philosophies on how to get better defensively. Most guys who know what they're doing will be preaching the same material. 

Last edited by PABaseball