Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Coaches in Tidewater"

doc,
i agree with most of your post, but, i gotta chime in here with my 2 cents worth ?
first, the facts of coach jones three years:
1st year: rallies a young team (all soph's & jrs. mostly) from a 3-8 start to finish with a 10 game winning streak and heart-breaking loss in the beach district final to fc. finished with a 13-9 record.
2nd year: on paper, has arguably one of the most talented group of players the beach has ever seen. jones leads this team to 26-2 record, (only losses coming to 3A state runner-up glenn high school out of north carolina and , and j.r.tucker in the state semi-finals.) question here doc ? did the chicago cubs underachieve last season ? much like chicago cubs fans, REAL kellam fans have endured years of frustration and sometimes too much losing ! kellam was within six outs of playing madison for the state title in 2002. ps. i'm pretty sure that twenty years from now if you ask coach jones what was his toughest year of coaching ? his reply just might be 2002. to have that much talent on paper is one thing, to keep it all together and get them to play to their potential is another. fella, i don't call that year an underachievement.
3rd year: definitely a rebuilding year with a young pitching staff and only three or four veteran position players. they finished 13-7 with a top of the seventh loss to a talented kempsville team in the first round of the beach playoffs.
once again, i want to say that i agree that noone after three years should be annointed chief winn-um-all, but kellam fans are pretty happy that he has turned the baseball program around into one that we are all extremely proud of !