Skip to main content

Reply to "Best College Pitching Programs and Coaches"

rynoattack posted:

My stance is that if a new coach comes on, the player should be able to transfer without penalty.  Why should the new coach be able to tell you that you aren't going to play, and essentially boot you out, and you not be able to transfer to another D-1?  By the way, the example I am using is of a fairly highly rated Freshman at a Pac XII school, so I am sure there would have been other D-1 options for him.  He signed in November, coach fired in June/July before Freshman year, played fall, and new coach said you're not going to play here til maybe Junior year, brought in JC guys, and told the kid he would be best to transfer to a JC.  To me, the kid should be allowed to transfer to a D-1 without penalty.

The scenerio you described isnt just something that happens when a new coach arrives.

My suggestion, let the buyer be aware.  Yes thats be aware, this happens.

When a coach from one program interviews for another, his HC or AD has given permission or is fully aware of the situation.  The coach more than likely stopped recruiting because that data base belongs to the program not the coach.  If the program he goes to has your son on the database, its good, but if not he has to begin the process all over again.  So dont sit around wondering why your son who was so son eagerly being pursued hasnt heard from the coach. If he took a position at a better program, keep in mind his player priorities have changed.  More than likely your son isnt a good fit for where he left to. This is reality in recruiting.  

That is how its supposed to work.  Coaches leaving are not supposed to bring their former players with them, there actually is a process that should occur. Remember, a player from one program needs a release to speak to a coach from another program.  Anything less than that is not allowable by NCAA rules.

Reality is that moves for many of these coaches means a lot more money. No D1 coach is going to pass up on a chance to help make things better for his family. You all would do the same.

Another reality is that your player signed his NLI stating he would play for that program, not the coach.  If you didnt sign an NLI basically you could be SOL.  Make sure your son loves that place.  If he signed because you all felt that coach will make your son a superstar, more than likely its not gonna happen unless you showed pro potential beforehand.  JMO

Can the new coach let you go, yes.  Is it fair, no.  Should a player be allowed to transfer to a new D1 right away, no.  Is the player more likely to be successful somewhere else, more than likely yes.

Keep in mind this works both ways. Players make commitments to programs and coaches. Then for maybe 6-12 months some entertain getting drafted.  Can anyone blame a player for signing a pro contact and not keeping their word?  No.

Why should it be any different for a coach?

Last edited by TPM