Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Details about Exposure?"

We started emailing potential schools the fall after my son's sophomore season (actually sat watching the World Series while shooting out emails).  He had hopes of playing D1...but at that point he was still the smallest/youngest kid in his class and didn't "look like" a D1 kid, though he was capable of playing with any kids his age...even some who already had D1 interest.  He emailed about 40 possible choices.  D1's from a 3 state area (not the Power 5 schools...we knew they likely were out of the question), several top D2's and even a few D3's...just because I made him .   We sent out info on his HS season (varsity SS & P) and also a video that we shot on our own just a couple days before.  To our surprise, even though the emails went out between 9 and 11 pm, we had 7 or 8 responses by the next morning.  2 or 3 said thanks with a "canned" response...or a camp invite....but the other 4 or 5 were actually replies from coaches.  We could tell by their replies that they had actually watched the video.  No "serious" inquiries at that point, but one of the coaches who did reply ended up being one of the 4 or 5 schools my son actually had some serious contact with the next spring/summer.   We sent out the same email & video again a couple more times through the winter...and once more in the spring after updating with his Junior stats/info....and his summer schedule.  We got a few new replies each time...and eventually dropped most of the ones who had never responded.

Funny thing is, the school he ended up at never replied once...not even a hello......lol

Did this get him noticed?  Yep....by some schools.  Did it get him into college?  Based on the sentence above this....nope!   His talent ended up doing that, which is usually the deciding factor....but getting him and his information in front of coaches never hurts.

Good Luck!!!