Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Details about Exposure?"

A couple good points about exposure and travel teams.  My son played on a very good team at 15U and 16U.  Myself and another coach had put it together....just kids from NW Ohio that we personally knew or had met over the previous 4 or 5 summers.  We carried 12 to 13 kids most of the time.  Of those kids, there are now guys pitching in the ACC, B1G and MAC (2) with other playing at all levels throughout Ohio and Michigan...10 of the 13 are playing in college.  Funny thing is, we played in the best events we could...and really had VERY little interaction with college coaches...other than a few toward the end of the 16U summer.  The team split up....my son and 3 or 4 others went to play for a very well known organization known for getting kids a lot of exposure.  Those 4 kids are all at D1's now.  As much as we thought that our 15/16 team was getting enough exposure...that next summer made it painfully obvious that we hadn't.  My son played in front of 40-50 coaches at some events.  He normally came in in relief after a 6'5 LHP who was being recruited by EVERYONE...so that didn't hurt .  His summer coach would contact him almost weekly telling him he was getting calls about my son....some from schools we hadn't even noticed at tourneys....including Patriot League teams and even an Ivy...son said "Dad, they only play 35 games a season...I'm not going there"....lol.   

I guess my point is the same as others have said....being put in position to be seen by the right coaches is the key to finding a place to play.  In our area, my son would have NEVER had a D1 coach attend his HS game...it just doesn't happen here in rural Ohio.  Playing for a good program in the summer....that got him in the right events got him looks....and eventually a spot on a college roster.