Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Kind of Baseball"

Wow - what a response to the question... lots of ways I could have improved the question.

I am sorry for not including youth baseball - in many ways the most fun to watch of all...

I also should have said watch without your son participating - like everyone here - watching my own son play is the most fun of all - and I am very much looking forward to when I can do that again (he is on the DL for the summer)

And lastly, the intent of my question was to watch in person...

Some of my favorite memories - in no particular order:
- OSU and the CWS in 2006 - Omaha is a very special place to watch a game.

- A game in the tourney that my son was playing at the same time in Omaha. Two undefeated teams - both playing well above the competition - meeting in the last game of the night. Even the umps wanted to watch it - they agreed to split the pay 4 ways and ump the game with 4 umps. The sun set as it only can in Omaha incredible colors against a stormy sky - and the teams played until nearly 11 PM a tight back and forth game.

- Celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary by sitting on the grassy hill in right field at Chatham field in Cape Cod - eating a Pizza from down the street (Carmine's - one of the best pizzas in the world) and watching two pitchers throw shutouts at each other for 8 innings - only to have the game end on a home run over our heads and one hop into the fire station (and incredible shot - probably 450 - with wood of course)

- Watching any number of wonderful teams play the WWBA 17Us last year - with an array of radar guns behind home plate. It was great to see many of those kids get drafted this spring.

- Watching a young Will Clark and Robbie Thompson scramble around the right side of a very young Giants infield

Just a few great memories - I love this game...