Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Level For A H.S. Freshman Who Knows He Will Be Playing (Somewhere)"

Francis7 posted:
real green posted:

For instance, trashing the Freshman program as though it's below your son's ability, and that's where he ends up, will impact his experience negatively.  

I'm not trashing it, just being objective.  There are about 13 freshmen trying out who played MS ball last year and some form of travel.  At least 50% of those 13 where non-starters in MS and on "B" level travel teams (where they also didn't start).  Anyone else trying out beyond those 13 are kids who only played recreational baseball or never played any organized baseball at all. 

Basically, including my son, in terms of freshmen, there are about a half-dozen kids who started on their MS and travel teams.  It's a very shallow pool of players and many of the players will likely be out of the HS program after freshmen year.  Again, I'm just being objective.  My son also knows all the players.  He doesn't need me to

I think you maybe discounting the growth kids make at this age.  Some of the 50% players who did not start will potentially grow and improve their skills and strengths between the end of the MS season and the HS tryouts.  Its really a crapshoot at this age to say this player will be good next or this player will not be.  Puberty is the great equalizer.