Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Level For A H.S. Freshman Who Knows He Will Be Playing (Somewhere)"

I think part of the issue with the conflicting comments here is that there is such a HUGE disparity between the HS's that our kids attended....or played against.   My son's HS plays in a very good league, and does really well with limited numbers.  As a freshman, my son's class had 5 kids play baseball....all 5 played thru their senior year.  We never had more than 30 kids in the ENTIRE PROGRAM his 4 years in school...so no freshman games and sometimes even a JV and Varsity on the same day caused issues with pitcher availability.  My son's graduating class had 140 kids total. 

The top school in our league....multi-time state champion in D2 (second largest in the state) would have 35-40 freshman try out every year....with graduating classes in the upper 200's, so still not a large school by any means.   Difference....our school is a perennial HS basketball power (4 state titles in the last 20 years) and our football program is also a powerhouse.   Guess what, that means that in a school that size, there just aren't enough baseball kids left after the football guys all are "recommended" to run track in the Spring....and the basketball and football coaches "expect" the kids to be available in the summer for AAU and 7 on 7's.   Read that as "no time for baseball"    The other school I mentioned....basketball and football are average at best and their summer baseball is not mandatory....that would be illegal ....but it's close.