Skip to main content

Reply to "Best route for a high skill, but physically underdeveloped player: D3 or JC?"

Sluggerdad,

I get the sense you are beating your head against the wall.  Don't.  Help your son understand pros and cons and move forward with his choice.

I think you can have your cake and eat it too with D3 or JC.  Your son is not getting the offers he wants and eventually that is how these kids figure it out.  I think you got valuable feedback that is honest and real from that coach.   There is a reason for it, and I think that Coach is really trying to help.  First, I think you underestimate the feeling these kids get when they play college baseball at any level.   Once they get on the practice field or game field they don't care if it is D1, D2, D3, JC or D37.   It is all business.  They want to win, and they are playing college baseball.  Second, many kids get invaluable summer college baseball experience through various leagues across the country.  I went to a Cal Ripken Summer League All Star game in Betheseda, MD last summer with swampboy as his son was going to pitch.  These were high level college talents playing summer college baseball across DC, VA and MD.  The rosters were mostly D1, D3 and a few JC kids (including Cal Ripkens son).  Scouts were there, and it was great exposure and opportunity for everyone that took the field.  My point is two D3 kids started on the mound for each side in that all star game.  So, there is opportunity for guys to step up and don't underestimate an opportunity in summer college baseball as this is really where things happen for guys who don't get the exposure during the regular season.  JMO

Last edited by fenwaysouth