Skip to main content

Reply to "Best route for a high skill, but physically underdeveloped player: D3 or JC?"

sluggerdad,

A follow up to my earlier comments.  You asked about baseball I gave you my two cents.  However, my views on education are vastly different.  One of my typical questions is to ask a poster: "what is most important between baseball, academics and financial"....you can only choose one  There is no wrong answer but what is most important to you.  Depending on the answer that is what you go with

Again, from my viewpoint we send our kids to college to learn and give them the tools to earn a living.  Baseball can be one of those tools, but a more likely scenario is your son earns a degree, possibly plays some college baseball and gets a job or starts a business after school.  90% if college baseball players don't get drafted so that seems like a logicial progression.

If you believe in your "secret heart of hearts" (your words) that an education is the most important thing for your son's future and your grandkid's future .....tell him and discuss it in detail.  Your son has been fighting injuries.  Injuries happen all the time in college athletics..  My son was hurt his college junior year, and fought back hard to get back on the mound his senior year.  For whatever reason,  his Head Coach made that come back difficult despite my son being first team all conference his sophomore year.  Senior year, my son  demonstrated to everyone he could pitch competitivey again and help his team, but at the end of the day his coach was making that determination.  The one thing my son could count on was his engineering degree no matter what happened with his health or whatever coaching decisions were made.  The fact is you can't count on competitive baseball being there for a lifetime.   Again, injuries and other issues crop up in college baseball all the time.  Position your son for the short term but plan for the long term.  The best education possible is the long term.  JMO.