Skip to main content

Reply to "Best summer events for 2015?"

Sorry for the delay in responding...been doing baseball all weekend!

Happy to go through the details of my son's recruiting, but I'm not sure the specifics of where he ended up is as important as the journey.  Every school has different needs at different times...Every kid is different (athletic ability, academics, etc.).

Have a "realistic" target list of schools.  Then figure out where can your son get seen by the coaches on his list.

My son did the WWBA 17U back East.  He also did the Arizona Junior Fall Classic out West.  These are big tournaments with lots of teams/players, physical locations, and plenty of pro scouts and college coaches.  My son did not get a sniff out of either.  But I'm certain many players did.

My son also did the events I mentioned above (PG National Academic, Headfirst Honor Roll, Stanford All Star).  The vast majority of coaches on his target list attended one or more of these events.  He had zero offers from the Pac12 or SEC.  But he had offers from schools he desired in the Big East, Southern, Patriot, Ivy (using the term "offer" loosely here), Atlantic 10, ACC, West Coast, Big Ten, Colonial, etc.

Bottom line is he went to be seen by schools on his list.  That was overwhelmingly at showcases.  There were a couple of excellent camps too (Harvard was one).  Perhaps the big tourneys tended to be too big for his ability level, or were more difficult for exposure because of their size...who knows.

Zero colleges saw my son play at his high school games.  His team was a Top 50 national powerhouse.  Three teammates were drafted.  15 teammates are playing at some level in college.  Pro scouts came...sometimes a dozen or more.  But college coaches were coaching their teams so none ever came.

Sorry for being long winded.  My bias, based on my son's and his teammates' and his other friends' experiences:  If you go where your schools are, it's more likely opportunities will arise.  Showcases and camps worked best for us.  Tourneys did not, though they were valuable in their own ways.  High school ball was fun and helpful for my son's development, but he was not seen directly there.

Please let me know if you need any more info.  Want to be helpful and not verbose!