Skip to main content

Reply to "Best way to let them know we want to go pro"

iowakiddad,

I'm not sure we know who you are, but I would guess you go to Urbandale HS. Denny Barton, the excellent coach there is a friend of ours. Urbandale has a good junior MIF that will be playing in the PG League this spring.

I'm surprised, it appears you're unaware of the Spring and Fall Leagues. The PG League is one of the heaviest Scouted HS Leagues in the United States and it is made up of mostly Iowa players (the very best Iowa players). We have had as many as a dozen "Scouting Directors" and other high front office staff at weekend double headers. There have been games with 50 to 100 MLB scouts in attendance.

Here are some facts you may not be aware of. The PG Leagues have produced over 70 draft picks from Iowa and a few surrounding states. In fact, over the past 9 years, every single high school player drafted has played in the PG League. In other words... not one single high school player has been drafted in Iowa for 9 years who did not play in the PG leagues.

I am even more surprised that if you are talking to scouts, they haven't told you this.

Just over the past few years, players in the league have included Jeff Clement (drafted but at Southern Cal), Matt Macri (drafted but at Notre Dame), Joel Hanrahan (drafted 2nd round by Dodgers), Peter Blake (drafted 4th round by Twins), Zach Hammes (drafted 2nd Round by Dodgers), Ryan Sweeney (drafted 2nd round by White Sox), Brad Nelson (drafted 4th round by Brewers), Chris Tritle (drafted by Oakland), Drew Davidson (drafted by Orioles but at Illinois) and several other draft picks. Jhonathan Figueroa, Alfredo Fernandez, Marvin Urdaneta all signed free agent contracts right out of the Iowa SPRING League. Both Figueroa and Fernandez signed for $500,000 plus.

In addition nearly every player who went on to play DI baseball in the past 9 years from Iowa, played in the Leagues. Some are at top 25 programs like Baylor, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Wichita State. Oklahoma State, and USC.

It bothers me when Iowa players use the reason of no Spring Baseball hurting them. The best players in Iowa have about ZERO chance of being overlooked if they are in the League. If any state had a League that included every potential draft pick in that state playing against each other every weekend, it would be the best place to find MLB scouts. Iowa has that big advantage over other states. All of the above mentioned players know this and so do the many others who have played in the leagues.