Skip to main content

Reply to "between a rock and a hard place"

Originally Posted by jolietboy:
Originally Posted by Golfman25:

At the Freshman level, I would suggest everyone defaults to the "c" team.  Give them a year of seasoning.  As the season progresses, maybe changes are made for the "studs."

Since this is HS, I would sit back and relax.  Let your kid represent his HS.  I completely understand that it may be hard to watch the games, but work thru it. 

My kid's freshman basketball team is brutal.  Watching it makes your eyes bleed.  But the kids enjoy representing the school and being part of something.  They go out to dinner after games and hang out with each other.  The losses are quickly forgotten. 

Not sure it is good that losses are taken so well these days.  Of course I don't want kids to beat themselves up over it but at my school I am afraid they have come to expect it and accept it.  Sometimes when you are with a group that is so bad and uncommitted I think it is best left behind.  Don't know if this describes the OP team or not.  If the kids are giving everything and are serious about the game stick with them if not get out.  My experience has been that bad players are seldom giving a full effort.  No need to be loyal to your classmates when they are not serious about the game that you love.

I agree.  Unfortunately, my kid's school suffers from low expectations.  The kids are good and reasonably talented.  But frankly, in many cases the coaching just sucks.  It is really bad at the lower levels.  It doesn't even give the kids a chance to compete.  As I have said before, you can't fool the kids and they figure it out pretty quick.  They have to cope somehow.