Skip to main content

Reply to "between a rock and a hard place"

Godzilla,

My 2015 is graduating, will enjoy his last year as a high school baseball player. He has had three different coaches in the years that he's there. The school district gives a choice of open enrollment to go to any school in the district. My son's school is a high academic (7th in the nation), had to test in. The school shares all sports with another high school that is rated poor. My son knew going in that the baseball program was weak (to say the least) and I would have transferred him out if he wanted. He did not want to leave the high academic school to go to another school just for baseball. He played on JV Freshman year and then Varsity Soph/Jun/Senior. Team started out weak and is still very weak. He has been a starter the whole time, INF/RHP. He is considered a strong player and is being recruited by very high academic schools to play in college. He dealt with high school baseball because he loves baseball, as a stronger player he had the opportunity to be a leader. He always got the most from private instruction, club travel team during Fall/Summer. My sons team hasn't made playoffs in recent history. My son is OK with that. IMO going to State may be fun for a team but at the end of the day what does it mean? I'm originally from the East Coast and we had a saying, "that and a token will get you in the subway". What does your son want to do?