Skip to main content

Reply to "between a rock and a hard place"

Originally Posted by ironhorse:

Suck it up. Parents need to understand that to most coaches subvarsity is subvarsity. No point in getting hung up on C vs JV crap. 

We're lucky enough to have a pretty talented group of Freshmen this year. My plan is to keep them all together on the freshmen team if possible. Them playing and traveling together for a whole year is more important than getting to say they play JV ball.  Always done it this way and had some success with it. To me it's about where a kid can get reps and develop, and who they're getting reps with.

I have never felt that way.  Especially any kid I might feel can play varsity as a sophomore I would want on JV as a freshman.   If the OP is still out there and paying attention to this thread I am wondering if I misunderstood original question.  My understanding was that you were up in the air about which situation (travel or hs) was best for your sons development.  I think a lot understood it as 'since my son didn't make jv I am mad and want to take my bat and ball and go elsewhere'  which is correct?  Cause if it is the latter then I would more agree with the group and just give you a 'really'?  But if it is about development I may (even as a high school coach myself) tend to think travel ball is the right choice.  Please chime back in if you read this.