Skip to main content

Reply to "BEWARE - don't risk your amateur status with NCAA!"

quote:
Originally posted by Homerun04:
From what I have seen there are a lot of programs that bring players in for individual events, fly them around, pay for their housing from donations, sponsors, and fund raising events, but the border line would if they pay them to participate.

There is a well known program in the mid-west that flies very high profile players in from around the country and sends them to high profile events like the Jupiter, FL event.

There are also some events that pay expenses for players to come in and participate in their events.

If programs don't sponsor some individuals, some less privileged individuals may not ever get a chance to display their abilities at high profile events.

Here is the EXACT wording of our exchange, again.
Question:
"Let me ask you about a specific situation I am aware of with a local athlete. Let’s say the player is on a local team, but a different team (one he is not a regular member of) invites him to go to a big tournament out of state. They offer to pay his airfare, lodging and meals if he’ll come and play with them in that tournament. There is no fee charged for him to play with the team, and they’re picking up all of his expenses to go play in that tournament. Would that be a violation?"

Response: "Yes. It would."

I think that addresses what you're talking about.