Skip to main content

Reply to "Beware the backswing"

Batty67 posted:

My son, a 2017 catcher, had a first last Friday. He got hit not once but TWICE by the same batter on different ABs. He's probably caught 100+ games in the big diamond by now, maybe far more. Anyhow, HS game, RH batter (maybe was a golfer?) has a long loopy swing and on the final extension nails my son on the back left side of his hockey-style helmet. Right there I'm telling myself THAT is why you where a fully protective helmet. If he was not, I'm pretty sure, best case, he's out of the game.

Next AB, he got hit on the back of the left arm, just above the elbow (thank G-d not on the bone). He yelps in pain. The umpire tells the batter to "knock it off. NOW" The batter, perplexed asks what he's doing wrong.  The umpire responds with something like "fix your swing before you really hurt someone. I don't want to see that again." I got most of this second-hand.

Thankfully, my son seems fine after the weekend.

My 14u catcher son took a swing to the back of his hockey helmeted head in the Fall, this was due to a horrible swing that ended with only one hand on the bat.  The bat struck my son squarely in the back of the head and it was like a gong!  The umpire immediately called the batter out and both sides of coaches went rushing for my son who was slumped down like he had passed out.  Thankfully he was just checking with himself internally before he opened up his eyes, got up, and said he was fine.  There was a LOT of fingers waving in his face checking his pupils...etc.

Fast forward to yesterday.  My son told me he wanted a two piece helmet like the full time catcher, he said they looked cooler.  I  asked him if he remembered that shot to the back of his head in the Fall, he said he did but it wasn't too bad.  I said "When the umpire immediately calls the batter out and the OPPOSING team coach comes running for you after a play to see if you are okay it IS THAT BAD.  Had you been wearing that two piece helmet you would have been in the hospital or worse.  As long as you are catching you will wear the $150 hockey helmet.".

To my utter amazement my son simply said "Okay".  I said what no argument?  He said, nope, you make a good point...I thought for SURE pigs were flying!