Skip to main content

Reply to "Beware the backswing"

PWPW posted:

Am I missing something? You guys are talking about a mask and skull cap right? I think, as far as the back of the head is concerned they cover the same amount of head. Am I wrong on that. Now I know the hockey style covers the ears and the jaw a little better. My son wore the skull cap in 11u and loved it. The next year the AHSAA passed a rule that said you had to wear the hockey style so he went back to it. I think USSSA and most associations won't let you wear it any more. They are much cooler and you can hear better with them. But I say all that while my kid or any of the catchers I've coached have never been whacked in the head with a bat!

PWPW, the mask and skull cap fly off with little provocation and have that lip on the back of the head.  If a bat hits that lip the two pieces are going to go flying off and the bat momentum will keep going as the mask and skull cap are flipping off, possibly even hitting the skull cap back into the kids head.

The main catcher on my sons team wears the mask and skull cap, there is really no comparison when it comes to safety, the hockey style mask encases the head securely and the skull cap is more like a loose bumper that may or may not be in the correct spot to save the catchers head.