Skip to main content

Reply to "Beware the backswing"

old_school posted:

it seems pretty obvious to me that if the catcher is getting hit he is to close...I don't think it matters if the kid has long loopy swing. He is batting and he is entitled to swing however he likes. the fact the swing is long means the catcher better pay attention and back up.

Oh. So it's my 2017 son's fault he got hit by the same batter twice on different ABs? Not doing his job...right. Too close. He's caught hundreds of games with several thousand ABs on small and large diamonds and that's only happened with one batter on two different swings. Yes, clearly my son is doing something very, very wrong and the batter can do whatever the heck he wants on the backswing. Every other batter/AB non-issue, but this one kid. Geez, he really needs to change his whole approach to catching. Got it.

Wait. I was being sarcastic.

Clearly, the kid had a massive backswing that wrapped around far more than other batters because, if my son was getting nailed routinely, I'd take your cogent advice seriously.

Either way, I'm glad he was wearing the hockey-style helmet, which DOES provide far better protection to the sides and back of head.