Skip to main content

Reply to "Bible study after practice?"

As a coach I can tell you that I in fact use optional as a way to determine who is serious and who is not. If I say "Guys anyone wanting to get in some extra bp can come by the cages on Sunday afternoon. A couple of Sr's will be there to open up and throw. Anyone wanting to take advantage of this can. It's optional."

Now I will want to know who came. I will take really take notice of who does not. And it will influence my perception of the player or players that do not come. And I dont sugar coat it I will let the players know I know who came and who didnt. The ones that dont come on a routine basis better be hitting well. And if two guys are equal and I have to make a move the guy putting in the extra work is going to get the nod when a need to make a move.

Now if a coach says he is going to hold Bible Study after practice he is going to take notice of who came. During the course of these Bible studies there will be some interaction and some bonding will take place. This coach will also notice who does not attend. Will this possibly influence his opinion of a player who does attend? Will it influence his opinion of a player who does not? If two kids are very close in ability and he has to make a decision on a pinch hitter or a late inning replacement will he make a decision based on his new gained relationship through the Bible studies? I dont know. But he could. But it def could be percieved if he does make a move and the Bible study kid gets in before the non Bible study kid does.

Why put yourself in this posistion in the first place? Your a coach. If he wants to go to church , attend Bible study , etc etc - then that needs to be totally seperate from baseball and the coaches.

Anyone who thinks for one minute that a player would not feel pressure to attend is kidding themselves. Not unless they were entrenched as a starter and an upper classman and a mature person. And even that player could feel pressure to join in.

Its baseball. Its not Bible study time. You can teach life lessons through the game and I think you should as a coach. But its not your place to get into religion. JMO