Skip to main content

Reply to "Big 10 football"

@Senna posted:

A fave of mine: “Unions are like condoms: if someone is trying to convince you you don’t need one, you definitely, DEFINITELY need one.” That said, wife has never been a member of one (Ga-RTW state).

But with the current demands being placed on teachers, I believe very strongly in the value of their unions in keeping their rights and issues in the forefront of the public eye. Few professions have had such a drastic, potentially life-impacting change as a result of C19 as teaching, and few professions have been as vilified in many parts of the country as a result of it. Don’t believe me, just ask for a link to the next school board meeting here. 

There are lots of professions that don’t have nearly as much protection. The union demands have put teachers in a bad light in some areas due some of their requests not having to do with protection and in some cases using this crises as negotiating leverage. 

** I’ll add, some teachers can make themselves into hero’s and villains. My wife for example has been very calm and makes the most of the situation. Tons of parents have already sent emails and calls thanking her for putting the kids at ease and feeling safe in her room. Over $1000 in donated class gift cards to buy supplies for her room. On the other hand, some teachers have been complaining the entire time and telling the kids how unsafe it is and in some cases encouraging them to stay home and being openly political to the kids

Last edited by TerribleBPthrower