Skip to main content

Reply to "Big 10 recruiting rules?"

anotherparent posted:

I think the implication is that they cannot give NLIs for scholarships over the limit (as SEC and ACC schools do?), and therefore they have to recruit players who will have plenty of academic or need-based financial aid, i.e. "walk-ons".  Presumably that puts them at a disadvantage in recruiting - less likely to recruit high-school players who might be drafted?  

Apparently it applies to football also, there was a lot of discussion about it in 2011.

Agree. This doesn't specifically say NLI, but that's how I read it.

https://iuhoosiers.com/documen...andbook.pdf?id=27323

"Limitations on Institutional Offers of Aid. An institution shall not at any time issue a tender to a prospective student which, if accepted, would exceed the maximum number of grants-in-aid allowed under the limits of NCAA Bylaw 15.5. (Revised 5/11/92) 

Exceptions: 

Football. An institution may have no more than 3 initial offers in excess of its institutional limit outstanding at any time. (Adopted and effective 10/8/02) 

Men’s Basketball. An institution may have no more than 1 initial offer in excess of its institutional limit outstanding at any time. (Adopted 6/19/07; revised 7/25/07; revised 7/13/10; revised 7/12/11) 

Baseball. At any given time, an institution may offer up to the value of two equivalencies in excess of its institutional limit (Adopted 10/6/09 effective beginning with initial offers issued during the 2009-10 NLI signing periods; revised 5/14/13 & effective beginning with initial offers issued during the 2013-14 NLI signing periods)."