Skip to main content

Reply to "Big 12"

Interesting how some like SBD try to put a political spin and try to put a pejorative spin on fact based statements. No matter how folks try to make it political, it is a fact that we are now over 100,000 dead and rising.  That impacts far more people and families than the measurement of death.

As to the new beginning position, it seems like you are trying to play two games on one field at the same time. The game which started  in our Country in January but was not recognized l far too late is still in the early innings. Death rates and the financial and emotional impact are still unfolding and will do so for months into the future. Recent trends, which I assume is being called the "new beginning," clearly need to be followed. Early information  show increases in a number of  States including those with reopening like Texas, Southern  Florida, Alabama, etc.

As to the economic impact, one would have to be blind not to appreciate it.  The societal impact has been, continues to be and will continue to be  harsh. A significant part of my day is trying to work with employers on how to address and impact the harshness within their employee population, while also trying to understand the massive challenges  of reopening. (Have you checked the OSHA guidance for reopening?) This massive economic issue is  largely because of the failures of leadership to provide a cohesive plan which would have synthesized the anticipated medical impact with the anticipated economic consequences. Instead, the message  defensively and retroactively tried to put the Genie back in bottle and convince everyone  this was "nothing" and would "soon go away."

What too many seem to be missing is this is not one or the other. It is a medical issue which is significant and will continue to be so and which will continue to have societal and economic impact. Bob Bowlsby (again) notes he is more concerned about finishing the Fall sports season, not starting it.

What the last 60 days shows is both the medical and economic challenges needed to be managed early and proactively and  and proactively managed well. Neither was. Arguing it was one or the other (illness and death vs economy) is particularly ill suited to a solid discussion and plan, in my opinion.