Skip to main content

Reply to "big hitting, SLOW running, sophomore 1B - what Division colleges to target for now?"

fenwaysouth posted:

I think you are selling your son short.   1st base is not a speed position.   It is a hitting it over the fence or an RBI position in the batting lineup and a "make the infielders throws look good" with a great glove defensively. 

If your son can convince many college coaches he has these skills then you're halfway there.    I don't recall any college first baseman stealing bases or having a tremendous throwing arm.   Focus on producing runs with the bat, and then see who is interested without regard to their college division.

Good luck!

thank you & I do think I could be selling my son short but really try hard to not be "that dad" who thinks his son is some big thing.. He's blessed with size & tools - but clearly NOT one of the 3 measurables that seems to stop you dead - the 60.  It's the first thing they do at these events..

Our Fall travel season ended with a PG tourney at end of September, & since we've just been going to some colleges for fun father/son Sundays & some experience for him & to see/tour some schools..  and I just wonder if after the coaches see his 60 they already have him "crossed off".  (To read many of the threads here - it seems that's how it works - but maybe it's not always like that..)

Again thanks - all the replies are awesome & really appreciated. College is a giant Rubik's cube to us thus far & we appreciate all the tips & thoughts.  Cheers