Skip to main content

Reply to "big hitting, SLOW running, sophomore 1B - what Division colleges to target for now?"

bacdorslider posted:

Where do you live, what are his grades?  train as anyone would to develop , don't dwell on that fact that he is slow.... does he have any quickness?  can he field at 1B?  Hitting and Fielding trump running bases... what is he 15 1/2 ... body will change several times in the next 4 years.  

Don't count out mid major D1.... look up Chase Chambers, ( Tenn Tech) now in milb..... 

Also don't rule out a good JUCO...

D2 unless he is looking for the academic side is something he can use as  a fall back... D2 is normally expensive.... train and see what happens.... 

We live in PA

His grades could be a whole other thread.. He gets recommended for, then often doesn't get A's in, AP/Honors classes.. So if I had to (wild) guess he'l wind up a 3.5-4.0 WEIGHTED GPA (raw GPA lower) due to taking these AP's/Honors cores.   He standardized tests really well (95&98% on verbal/math PSAT - hasn't had SAT yet)  But too many video games versus studying.. (again, that's a whole other thread - please spare me the bad parent rap - I already know! 😳) 

But my view is it's the total person he becomes that I think will take him furthest in life -  and in that Baseball is giving him a sense of discipline that has thus far eluded him with school.. I think it's a BIG positive for him. (& here again, that could be a whole other thread for that subject, too)

His 1B defense is honestly very good.  Picks consistently, moves around the bag well, throws solid to 3B/2B & knows what to do situationally - overall really solid (& I'm tough on him as you've seen)

Right now his/my mindset of target "range" is from very competitive D3's to lower D1's  But he does prefer the more full time athletic development focus of the D2/D1 programs versus the limited off season work with the D3 programs. 

And I know - anything can & will happen.. But it seems having a realistic potential "target" range of schools to look at & visit is a positive & worthwhile thing. 

He asked me yesterday "how much income would it take me to live on"  Now we're talking. 😛

This is awesome getting all these replies.. continued thanks!!