Skip to main content

Reply to "big hitting, SLOW running, sophomore 1B - what Division colleges to target for now?"

YachtRocker posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Until he gets really serious about the grades D3 will be an issue.... I would hate to go to a D3 and end up not playing.  Most of the D3's that are solid will want an ED and some pretty high test scores. ACT for instances 33 and above.  

Well like I said has only taken PSAT and scored in 95th & 98th percentile for verbal & math respectively..  From that I could project from a test score perspective he could be in decent shape there. 

Sounds like you have a 3.5, 1450 SAT type student who takes AP classes.   That is a very good academic profile.   Seriously you can shave that half second off the 60 easy.  Trust me on this.   Just more maturity and some working on form will get him there.   Combine that with a very good fielding 1B who hits for average and power and you have an overall very good profile.   

My suggestion is start focusing on what majors he wants, zero in the top 20-25 school fits.    Next summer he can be a 7.3 60 with 90+ exit velo.  Then you email your best college targets and some will come out to see him play and then take it from there.   

Having just gone through this my #1 with a bullet advice is your son (with your guidance) needs to drive the process as far as identifying schools and reaching out to coaches.  Don't leave it to chance that the coaches / schools will find you.    Don't skip this step.  Take control.

Oh and if you want high academic do a headfirst showcase.   I would say probably not worth it the summer between Sophomore and junior year unless he can play for a UVA/Vandy  (you will know if that's realistic or not but for 99% of kids - no way) or get into an IVY.   We did it for the experience between Sophomore and Junior year and really enjoyed it but just minor interest came out which also helped us zero in at what division he should be looking.  Certainly do it early the summer between Junior and Senior year where you can still get some mid tier D1's (Patriot Leagues) and a lot of the HA D3's.....