Skip to main content

Reply to "big hitting, SLOW running, sophomore 1B - what Division colleges to target for now?"

RJM posted:

The purpose of going to the best college possible is to have the most possible doors opened when entering the working world. But ultimately you have to prove yourself. Yes, there are other side benefits that may not ultimately matter.**

But don’t you think a motivated, highly intelligent, high IQ person who attended an Ivy would ultimately get to the same place professionally if he attended Wossamottah U. 

** A friend of mine, a farm boy from Nebraska went to Harvard for football and he was bright. He married a Wellesley girl from a generationally wealthy Brahmin Boston family looking for a Harvard boy. Anything else would have been unacceptable to her family.

It took a long time for the family to accept him. I think it was when he became a senior partner in one of the top private equity firms in the world and worked out of the London office they accepted him.

It cracked me up at the Hyannisport Country Club when snobs would snicker quietly, “You know, he’s not from money.” I would think to myself, “He’s wealthier than all of you. AND, he earned it.”

Some people from dynasties don't accept newly rich people even if they are richer than themselves. In Germany there even is a word for newly rich people (like for everything) from lower classes.

The aristocrats used to look down on selfmade rich people because they thought they were rude bragging people with no sense for class and understatement.

Now there are really people like that, the costly skiing resort st. Moritz in Switzerland for example is famous for young russian millionaires who buy 5k champagne bottles, get really drunk and demolish hotel rooms because they tend to think paying for it entitles them for everything but the biggest reason that "old money" doesn't like new money is of course they like to stay an exclusive club and people rising undermine this. Frowning upon newly rich is a way to keep that exclusivity.

Not sure how that is in the US which was founded post aristocracy, maybe different there than in traditional aristocratic countries like England.

But that is very off topic of course

Last edited by Dominik85