Skip to main content

Reply to "Big League Egos (unfounded)"

quote:
infielddad - Wow!!! I think this is way over the top based on what I have experienced and what I have seen. Know a number of college coaches, most at the DIII level, some DI and others NAIA. They are the best, most honest, genuine and sharing group you can ever imagine. If they can help a kid, they go out of their way to do so.
Same is true with the players I have encountered in minor league baseball. They are autographing for kids before games, after games, answering parents questions, working with the media, etc. Most will never make it to the "Bigs" but they do a marvelous job of marketing their game and sharing their time. Personally, I find the proposition offered to suggest a correlation to be either very offensive or based on such a small population size to not be worthy of such conclusion.

This is not just a baseball thing. It happens in most every field. I think most will admit it even happens right here on this message board.

quote:
06catcherdad - I think "Big Leagueing" occurs in many walks of life, not just professional sports.

06catcherdad, IMO you are correct!

Rick, did not say everyone "bigleagued" him, but mentioned only 5 or 6 out of the hundreds he has talked to (Not what I would call "way over the top"). In his case they turned out to be "small" rather than "big" people. No matter where they coach or play, big or small, I would consider them "small" as well.

Saying there are a few "bad" ones makes sense. Only I've run into a few that I would consider "bad" who are not small timers at all.

Saying they're ALL the best, most honest and sharing group just can't be true. I know you mentioned just the "ones you know". Is it possible there are some you don't know that Rick has run across?

I bet everyone here has been "big leagued" at some point. It's not enjoyable, even if the person is a real "Big Leaguer"!

InfieldDad, I do agree with your opinion of coaches and minor league players as a whole. Most are the best of people, but there are some exceptions.
Last edited by PGStaff