Skip to main content

Reply to "Big League Egos (unfounded)"

Being in the construction business, I've had the opportunity to do some work on some professional athlete's homes thru the years.

Most of them were absolutely the best customers you could ask for. In fact, one of them became a beer drinking buddy.

Now their wives on the other hand.......don't get me started.

There were the exceptions, Larry Brown (Cowboy DB that won the MVP in a super bowl) was a arse. He thought since he won the MVP, he was God's gift. Funny how that worked out for him....

But I've met most of the Cowboys from the 90's Super Bowl era, and most were very nice. One of the nicest football players that I ever met was Nate Newton, the one that just got out of Prison. Nice guy, bad decision maker.

My son had the privlidge a couple of summers ago to play for Mike Marshall of Dodger fame....no, not Dr. Marshall, the other one. You know, the one that caused the riot at Candlestick for flipping off the Giants bench. One of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. Gave of his time to these 15 yo boys, and on days we had rain delays, he would sit in the dugout and tell stories from when he played in the minors and the bigs.

How cool is it to be a 15 year old boy and hear about Kurt Gibson's game winning home run, from a guy that was there in the dugout? (actually, I was jealous that my son heard the story and not me, as I still remember sitting in disbelief when Gibson hit that home run)

My son played with Steve Buechelle's son last summer, and Steve is an example of an overall great guy. On an out of town trip, a bunch of us sat around a picnic table drinking adult beverages as he told stories from Stanford (he was John Elway's roomate in college), to the Rangers, the Pirates (Playing with the killer B's) and the Cubs. I have never laughed so hard in my life at some of his stories....and being a baseball junkie, I was like a kid in a candy store.

All of these guys love talking about thier passion, and I believe that they love giving thier time to fuel others to have the same passion as they do.