Skip to main content

Reply to "Big Pitch Count News--NFHS Requires States to Adopt Rules"

Go44dad posted:

^^^ OK, so...pitch counts, yes or no?  what say you?

Sorry I don't check in on here very often anymore.  I'm all about pitch counts and think it's much more beneficial than anything you would do with innings.  But like I said I find it hard to believe there will ever be a comprehensive way of doing this to adequately protect everyone.  I'm a big believer in protecting kids arms even at the expense of winning games and I believe most coaches are the same way (maybe I'm wrong) but there are those who make the rest of us look bad.

When I was head coach in Ky and we had the innings rule I had no idea what the rule was because we counted pitches, knew each kid was able to do and they talked to us about how they felt on a game day.  Never had any problems that I could see.  Haven't heard of anybody having arm issues after HS either.  Maybe we got lucky or maybe we were doing it right.  I doubt we ever broke the inning rule for pitchers but maybe we did.  

Whenever / wherever I become a head coach again I'm going to follow the same formula and I don't care what the rule says unless it's better than what we do.  I don't see any state coming up with any process with any teeth in it and as long as I'm not putting guys in jeopardy or gaining some kind of advantage over other teams nobody is going to say a word to me.