Skip to main content

Reply to "Bigger/Faster/Stronger (and Priorities)"

cabbagedad posted:
3and2Fastball posted:
cabbagedad posted:
PGStaff posted:

Young kids need to work at every part of the game.  It's all important.

Totally agree with this, but (OP) you and your son can't drink all the KoolAid offered by everyone.  You will either get very sick or drown. 

I appreciate that.  Can you elaborate, please?  Want to make sure I understand you

There also seems to be a sense of urgency and a sense of "can't miss that key event". 

With that combination, I think you will find yourself more and more bombarded with opportunities that you think are very important (and some are).  I suspect you will hear from travel organizations, hitting instructors, gyms, camps, fitness instructors, showcases, recruiting services, "friend" advice, etc., etc.  ......  Be prepared to have to say no to many opportunities.  Let natural maturation take it's course.  Stop and smell the roses along the way and stay healthy.  Mentally and physically.  Both of you.

Thanks for the reminders, I genuinely appreciate it.   My wife & I talk a lot about "slow cooking" our kid, letting him take his time growing up.  Letting him evolve academically & athletically.

There is plenty we are saying no to already, but having been through this before with an older kid in a different sport, I don't think one can get too many reminders of what you said above, which is genuinely helpful.

To me that is all the more reason for setting appropriate priorities in terms of training.  This thread has been very helpful